Saturday, December 11, 2010

Jesus Didn't Carry A Picket Sign

I have a past. Don’t we all? I have a not so glowing past. Much of my past I should have more remorse about, but… I don’t, mostly because 1. I had A LOT of fun and 2. I am what I am today in large part because of what I’ve experienced to this point – the good, the bad, AND the ugly.

Having said that, would I want others to live the life that I have lived? No. Would I want them to live a more holy life, without the consequences of sin that I have brought on myself? Yes. The question is, “How can I influence others in this world to live a better, holier, more God glorifying life than I have lived?”

One day, as I was driving to work, I came to an intersection that was lined with people. Each of these people was holding a sign. On these signs, there were statements, pleas, commands even. This particular group of people seemed to be peaceful. It seemed they were united to take a stand for something they strongly believed in, something I believe in.

Even in my agreement with what these people stood for, I was met with a sinking feeling in my heart and a sick feeling in my stomach. Even in my agreement with what these people stood for, I felt a sense of judgment, condemnation, even hate.

I was living a life absent of the type of sin I was once in. I had confessed, repented and been forgiven of the sins of my past. And yet, I felt as though I was personally carrying a cross through a mob of people holding signs and yelling “Crucify her!”

It was at that moment that I realized I would never carry a picket sign. I realized that people rarely come to redemption through a picket sign. I realized that Christ never carried a picket sign.

Christ lived a perfect and holy life. Christ led by example. Christ lived in relationship with others. Christ corrected the sinner but scolded the religious, the legalistic, and the self righteous, those who claimed to uphold the law for righteousness sake. Christ, loved.

A picket sign doesn’t build relationship. It doesn’t build trust. It doesn’t inspire change. A picket sign, doesn’t love.



Lord, help me to do my part to change the world for Your sake. Help me to live in the shadow of Your wings. Help me to dwell in Your beauty. Help me to inspire others for Your glory. Help me, to love.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I once wrote to the leader of a controversial religious group who was planning to picket a local high school. I asked him to reconsider picketing there, since there were already Christian leaders working in the school who had been building relationships with staff and students, showing them the love of Christ. His response: "They don't need relationships. They need the conviction of the Holy Spirit! They need the truth bashed over their heads! And anyone who thinks differently is a sinner and going to hell!" I kid you not.

Amy Baxley said...

Wow!(head shake)

That's pretty much all I can say about that.