Friday, July 22, 2011

Emotion, Does It Have A Place In Worship?

Worship is one of the most controversial topics of Christian life. Why? Off the top of my head I’d say that things as “Godly” as biblical knowledge and spiritual maturity contribute, but probably no more than things as “Worldly” as past experience and personal preference. In addition, we have an enemy who not only wants to destroy the body of Christ, but even more wants to destroy our personal relationship with Christ. I believe, in addition to the word and prayer, worship is how we connect relationally with God, both as a body and as individuals.

Before someone throws out the whole Romans 12 “spiritual act of worship” argument, I’ll state that I by no means dispute the truth of that scripture. I will also state that in addition to Romans 12, we have many, many, MANY scriptures that reference worship in the musical form. That is the worship I am addressing here.

Being a musician my whole life and a worshipper since my conversion just over a decade ago, I have spent a GREAT deal of time thinking, praying, meditating, studying, questioning, crying, and pulling my hair out about this topic. There is literally not a single other thing in my life that has brought me more despair. And I’ve been through divorce, rehab and a teenage daughter! Having said that, there is also absolutely nothing that has brought me as much joy, as much peace, as much comfort. There is no other “thing” that has drawn me closer to God and to who I really am in His presence.

Pretty emotional, right? I recognize that. And I am NOT an emotional person. So, realizing that worship has had this effect on me has led me to many questions. “Why do I get so emotional?” “Is this real?” “Am I emotional about God or am I just caught up in the music?” “Am I just creating this experience to replace the high I used to get from drugs, alcohol, eating, shopping, whatever?”

The answers? Sometimes Yes, Sometimes No. For all of them! My point is that I believe it IS real, but I know that I am human and I know there is an enemy. Therefore, I pray ALL THE TIME, “Lord, make it real.” “Make it authentic.” “Help me to focus on you.” “Meet with me.” “Wash me in humility.” “Let your Spirit be my guide.” The prayers go on and on and on. At times, I fail. At times, I’m emotional because the music was REALLY good! At times, I’m emotional because my singing/playing was really BAD! I am human. I have emotion. Being that I am created in God’s likeness, I believe He has emotions as well. Being that He creates all things for his pleasure and glory, I believe He delights in my emotions. Emotion is one of the things that makes us more than just a sack of bones, a bunch of flesh and blood.

So, I believe as Paul said to the church in Corinth when they were questioning his integrity, “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves.” Paul was speaking about prophecy, but his point can be applied in this way, Instead of questioning whether “the church” is providing authentic spirit filled worship for you, question whether you yourself are worshipping from the spirit within you.

1 comment:

David Baxley said...

Your last statement said it all and that was well said. I might have to quote you on that one?